Friday, October 28, 2011

Halloween Story 4: My Friend is a Ghost!

By Sally Ng

In honor of Halloween, we at StoryJungle have decided to write one ghost story each day leading up to the candy holiday. Don't worry parents, these stories are kid-certified fun. If you miss any of the stories, head over to the Story Corner Page and check them out!
Happy Birthday to Stephanie! Stephanie is a student at Story Jungle and her birthday is on Halloween! As a birthday present, Miss Sally has written a spooky story for Stephanie. Remember "Not all ghosts are bad"!


Stephanie was a cheerful little girl who was born on Halloween. She used to love celebrating her birthday until two years ago. Strange things had been occurring on her birthday for the past two years. She always ended up being upset and disappointed. 

"I don't want to invite anyone to my birthday party anymore! They are not here to celebrate with me! They just want to see how I am tricked at my own birthday party!" Stephanie yelled.

Stephanie's birthday party was known to be one of the 'coolest' parties in school. The strange things might seem scary to some of us but since Stephanie's birthday was on Halloween, everyone thought that the spookiness was created on purpose!  She explained a million times that none of those incidents were set up but no one would believe her.   



"I hope I am invited to Stephanie's party this year! I wonder what scary things will happen…" Stephanie's cousin, Kion wondered. 

"Going to Stephanie's birthday party is more thrilling than going to Ocean Park's Halloween bash!" exclaimed one girl. 

"It was exciting and spooky at the same time watching the candles got blown out by a mysterious gust of air…" said another.

"Does Stephanie live in a real haunted house?" a P.1 girl asked. 

"I heard that Stephanie is a real ghost! Isabelle, is that true?" Isabelle's classmate, Claudia questioned doubtfully.   

The rumours got so out of this world that Stephanie dreaded her birthday. 

Last year, the party went smoothly until Stephanie's mum brought out the birthday cake. Everyone gasped when the lid was removed. Half of the cake was missing! Stephanie accused Isabelle of eating half her birthday cake the night before. Isabelle was upset about it but did not want to fight with her sister in front of all the guests. When the candles were ready to be lit, the lighter kept blowing out as soon as the flame came on! Stephanie ended up staying in her room for the rest of the night. 
  

It was the night before Stephanie's birthday party. Stephanie was quiet for the whole day and did not look excited about her party at all. Isabelle could not bear to see her sister being so upset. She sat in the kitchen until the middle of the night to make sure no one came to spoil the cake. Before she went to bed, she wrote a note and put it on the fridge door. 

Suddenly, a small shadow appeared in the kitchen. 

"I wonder what cake that lucky girl is getting for her birthday this year…" Little Ghost whispered to herself deviously as she opened the fridge door when the note fell to her feet. She picked it up.

Dear friend, 
I am Stephanie's sister. This is Stephanie's birthday cake. I do not want to see Stephanie upset on her birthday so please don't spoil the cake. We will be happy to share it with you if you come back tomorrow.  
Love, Isabelle

Jealousy raged over Little Ghost and she was about to pick up the cake and throw it on the floor when she heard footsteps coming into the kitchen. Little Ghost was scared but she didn't have to hide as she had never been spotted by anyone before. She’s transparent to everyone. Stephanie stood by the kitchen door, holding a piece of paper in her hand. She walked into the kitchen heading straight to the fridge. Shaking like a leaf, she walked up to Little Ghost and handed her the piece of paper in her quivering hands. 


"I am very scared right now but I hope you will read this." Stephanie trembled.  

Little Ghost took the piece of paper. 

You are invited to Stephanie’s Birthday Party!!!

Dear ________ (who wants to eat cake), 
I don't know your name but I want to invite you to my birthday party. We can be friends. Please don't eat my cake without me anymore because I get very sad.
Love, Stephanie


A tear rolled down Little Ghost's cheek. 



"How can you see me? No one has ever seen me before so I have no friends." Little Ghost wept.



"I went to Story Jungle today and Miss Inness saw that I was very upset and asked me what was wrong. I told her about my birthday party last year and she said that a ghost had probably eaten the cake. Miss Inness said that not all ghosts were bad and maybe the ghost in my house just really wanted to share my birthday cake. Miss Inness once read in a book that only children born on Halloween can see ghosts so I came to the kitchen to try my luck. I have been waiting for you all night. Can we be friends? You can come to my party tomorrow. Can you tell me your name so I can write that on the invitation card?" Stephanie mumbled.    

 
Little Ghost could not believe her ears. Suddenly, she felt very sorry for spoiling other children's birthday parties. She never knew that she would be welcomed by the children. 



"My name is Little Ghost. I want to come to your party but I am a ghost! Other children will be very scared of me! As soon as children hear the word 'ghost', they will just cry and run away! No one wants to be my friend! I am sorry for what I did to your cake Stephanie. I am very jealous of you and all the love you get from your family. I have never celebrated my birthday before… Even your sister loves you so much. Did you see the note she left for me?" Little Ghost wailed as she passed Isabelle's note to Stephanie.   



"You have a friend now, Little Ghost. Of course you can come to my party! No one can see you so how will you scare my friends? I am the only one and I am not scared anymore! You will be my special guest. But there's one favour which I need to ask…" The girls giggled as Stephanie muttered something to Little Ghost before they went to bed.    



The next morning, Stephanie bounced into the living room happily to help with the decorations. Everyone was surprised to see how excited Stephanie looked. Stephanie gave her sister a great big hug and whispered "thank you" in her ear. Isabelle was a little confused but was very proud of herself for writing that note the night before. Stephanie also made a very strange request to her mum. Mum was confused too but was happy to fulfill Stephanie's wishes on her birthday.  



Nothing strange happened throughout the day but some children thought Stephanie was a little weird when she giggled and looked at ‘an empty space’ a lot… 



The most exciting moment came when the cake was brought out from the fridge. All the children's eyes were fixed on the box, wondering what would happen this time. When the perfect and uneaten cake was revealed, everyone clapped their hands, looking puzzled… 



"When did you change your name to Little Ghost, Stephanie? Is that what you asked mum to do this morning?" Isabelle questioned.



"That's my little secret and I get to do anything I want on my birthday!" Stephanie laughed. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Little Ghost's face beaming with joy. 
 
Everyone watched in amazement when the flames on the candles were blown out by a gust of wind out of nowhere. In order to keep the ‘spooky tradition’ of her party, Stephanie had asked Little Ghost to blow out the candles the night before! 



"We have just celebrated your birthday, Little Ghost. Let's celebrate our birthday together on Halloween every year from now on." Stephanie smiled.



Little Ghost has finally found a friend. She no longer has to spoil other children's birthday parties thanks to Stephanie.   



After that birthday party, Stephanie became even more famous in school! 




"I heard that Stephanie has 'Halloween Eyes'!"



"Stephanie can talk to ghosts!" 



"Stephanie's hobby is to collect ghosts!" 



"Isn't Stephanie a superhero? Didn't she rescue a ghost?" 



The rumours go on and on but none of them upset Stephanie anymore because she is the only one who knows the real truth… 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More